Serving West Michigan including Ottawa, Muskegon, Kent, Newaygo and Oceana Counties
Donald G. Messinger has represented businesses and individuals since 1973. His practice has focused on civil litigation, business organization and transactions, real estate, probate, and estate planning.
A native of southwestern Michigan, Don attended Michigan State University where he received his bachelor’s degree. After working two years for Pontiac Motors, Don entered the De Paul University College of Law in Chicago in January, 1969, and married his wife Bonnie in February that same year. While attending night law school Don worked days as a human resources specialist, a personnel director, and a law office administrative manager.
Following graduation, Don was employed as a litigation attorney with a Chicago insurance defense firm, and later as a litigator for a small suburban general practice firm. In 1977 he opened his own general practice in Hinsdale, Illinois, where he focused on civil litigation, family law, real estate, and business law. In 1986 Don, Bonnie and their four children moved to Spring Lake, Michigan, and he opened his general practice in Grand Haven a year later.
Don and Bonnie live in Spring Lake, Michigan. They enjoy four adult children and nine grandchildren. In his spare time Don enjoys trout fishing, fly tying, kayaking, golf, reading, writing fiction, and spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren.
- Michigan State University, BS 1968
- DePaul University College of Law, JD, 1973
- Partner - Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education
Admitted to Practice
- Illinois 1973
- Michigan 1976
- U. S. District Court, Western District of Michigan 1989
- U. S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois 1973
Past and Present Professional Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan - Section Member: Probate & Estate Planning, Business Law, General Practice
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Ottawa County Bar Association
- Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law - Adjunct Professor
- Lake Michigan Estate Planning Council (member, board member, past president)
- DuPage County (Illinois) Bar Association
- Cook County (Illinois) Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association
Past and Present Personal Affiliations
- Schrems West Michigan Trout Unlimited (board member)
- Bluebird Cancer Retreats (board member, past president)
- Lakeshore Youth For Christ (board member)
- Paul Dickerson Studio Art Museum (board member)
- Grand Haven Area Arts Council (board member)
- Grand Haven Area Visitor’s Bureau (board member)
- Westmont (Illinois) Chamber of Commerce (board member, past president)